Plants never tasted so good.

16.1.13

What I Ate Wednesday #47

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious

 

A week of no junk, all veg!

what i ate wed 47

Welcome to another WIAW! How quickly the week goes by.

This week Andy, Mya and myself have committed to a junk free week.  Lots of fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds with a few whole grains thrown in. Mya is is trying to eat more veggies as snacks, bread and grains are still on her menu.  She likes to be a part of a challenge. We are trying not to eat bread, mock meats, or any other of the little “healthy” goodies that fall on my plate through the week.  It is kind of a cleanse, but without the fasting of only liquids.  Today is a perfect example for what we have been eating.

Breakfast is a smoothie only.  No toast or anything else for me and Andy.  Mya had avocado toast with her smoothie, “two pieces please” she says!  I love that, she enjoys it as much as I do.

Today’s smoothie was a cheery start to a gloomy day.  It was hard to capture food picks indoors, but it was so dark so long this morning.

berry smoothie

Have a Berry Good Day Smoothie

Makes two:

  • 2 tbsp. chia seeds
  • 2 tbs. hemp seeds
  • 2 dates, pit removed
  • 3 tbsp. cashews
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1 heaping scoop of vanilla Spiru-tein Protein power
  • dash cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 8 ice cubes
  • 1 cup frozen berries, mostly defrosted
  • 1 cup almond coconut milk

Place all items in high speed blender, leave out a few berries to top the shake, and blend until smooth and creamy.  Pour into two glasses, top with a few small berries and enjoy this super EFA and antioxidant boost.

berry shake

This smoothie is thick and creamy which keeps me full after my workout and through making lunches and getting off to school. 

Speaking of school, I am often asked about what I give Mya for lunch.  Being What I Ate Wednesday, I thought I would share today’s menu.

P1090128

She is having tomato soup in her thermos, with some whole grain crackers, a banana, papaya slices, and fig cookies for dessert.  She likes pistachios and a mandarin orange cup for snack. Mya likes to drink the juice of the mandarins at snack time.  She has a bottle of water with lunch.  It all fits neatly into her lunch cooler.

P1090130

Since my workout was intense today, mid morning I needed a snack. The choices this week are fruits and veggies, so I thought a few lettuce wraps would keep me going.

P1090133

My lettuce wraps were simply, one leaf of romaine, a tiny smear of hummus, chopped red tomatoes, chopped yellow tomatoes, thinly sliced onion, thinly sliced sweet peppers and some sliced avocado. Simply roll and devour. This snack was not only delicious and kept me perfectly full until lunch.

P1090138

Lunch was a repeat of last night’s dinner.  I loved it so much, I made it again!  I have to say, every time I make portabella mushrooms cooked in a little coconut oil with a hint of Braggs liquid aminios, I actually feel like I am indulging in a cheat meal.  I used my double griddle to cook up a few sliced portabellas, a handful of green beans, some asparagus and a huge bunch of chopped kale.  The only seasoning I used was a few sprinkles of Braggs, and a dash of garlic and herb on the kale.  I licked the plate clean!

veg lunch

P1090145

After lunch, I had a cup of coffee and rinsed some brown rice for dinner.  I then put it in a bowl to soak a few hours. I always get the best results when I soak my rice for awhile before cooking.

P1090132

I was preparing for making sushi.

sushi collage

As soon as I arrived back at home from running errands, I prepped the veggies. Our version of vegan sushi is brown rice with matchstick carrots, red sweet peppers, snow peas,  avocado, Asian style baked tofu, bean sprouts, and sesame seeds. 

P1090163

P1090159

I began cooking the rice before Mya was home from school.  Once it was done I spread it in a huge glass casserole dish to cool down.

I am not a huge fan of Nori on the outside of my sushi, it is a bit fishy for me, but Andy and Mya love it. To accommodate all of us, I made two style rolls, soy wrappers and Nori sheets.

As much fun as it is to make sushi, what a mess! I began assembling my rolls when Mya came home. Bad idea.  Andy and Mya were eating them faster than I could make them! I felt like I was the assembly line in “I Love Lucy”.  It made me ecstatic that they were enjoying it so much. Even Prince was waiting for any bits and pieces to drop.  Can you see him in the pic?

P1090177

P1090178

Fill…

P1090166

Roll…

P1090172

Slice…

P1090169

Serve!

P1090179

P1090189

P1090183

P1090190

I saved us all a roll for lunch tomorrow. Mya loves sushi in her lunch.  She will be so happy.

No dessert today.  Lots of detoxing teas, water, and more water! One thing I noticed in the last few days of my challenge was increased energy.  I get up around 4:00am everyday, by 1:00pm, sometimes I take a 15 to 30 minute “refresh”.  I have not needed to this week.  That gave me a little time in my day.  That is a great benefit if you ask me.

I will take more photos of the meals this week and post them.  Have great Wednesday!

shiny_red_apple_for_teacher_0515-1007-2718-1227_SMU

15 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great day of meals and so super healthy :) I love the look of your wraps at lunch time, a great idea to use lettuce instead of bread. Happy WIAW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Lettuce is my go to when I am trying to avoid bread. I even sub it in my tacos as the "shell" sometimes. Happy WIAW!

      Delete
  2. Awesome challenge! Everything looks delicious (as always) and I love that included Maya's eats too!
    I have GOT to try making my own sushi. Though I doubt mine will be as pretty as yours! Love the idea of soy wrappers over Nori too.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, if Mya could she would totally blog about her eats. I kind of used reverse psychology when I presented the challenge. I told her what we were planning and that I did not think she would wan to participate, and she got offended and said, "I can do it too". She even came home from school and proudly announced that she ate extra veggies than what was packed in her lunch. She saw they were having a taco bar in the cafeteria and made herself a meatless salad out of the fixings! So cute.

      As for me and nori, I don't mind it so much on the inside of my roll, but my taste buds don't particularly like it on the outside. There are very few foods that I am picky with, this is one.

      Have a great Wed!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the challenge.

    The smoothie looks delish.

    Your sushi looks so cute and yummy. I'd love to make sushi. I really should get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be terrified to make sushi, I bought a brand new kit at a yard sale and have been making it ever since and never looked back! It used to cost me $5.99 a roll, now it costs me $5.99 for 5 rolls, and mine is organic! Love it. You should definitely make it.

      Delete
  4. I love that you & your family all made sushi together! How fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lettuce wraps look delicious. Perfect little snack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a cleanse that I could get behind, especially if you would make my meals. ;) My kids love sushi in their lunches too. I want to make some this weekend. I confess I'm the one eating them just as my husband finishes rolling them. I want to get some of that baked tofu to put in them - yum! I really like the look of that kale, green beans and mushroom combo too. Hope you are well! Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I eat soup basically everyday now, so I know the importance of a good quality thermos ;) Just out of curiosity, how well does that Shrek thermos keep food hot? On Thursdays I have three classes without time for a break, so unlike last week where I let my stomach grumble throughout class #2, I need to figure out something for food-on-the-go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what beautiful sushi! And that smoothie sounds delicious...there aren't many things that are so perfect after a good workout as a smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Everything looks delicious! Especially the sushi! I've made it before but it's been years! That sounds like a fun date night idea for the hubby and I!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sushi making looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love lettuce wraps, but wow, the green beans with mushrooms look mouth-watering. I love that you were making sushi - such a fun activity that the entire family can participate in, have fun, get creative and in the end of course have something yummy in the belly. I also enjoy making spring rolls partly similar reasons.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts