Plants never tasted so good.

30.1.13

What I Ate Wednesday #49

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious

 

wiaw 49 collage

Another Wednesday, I open my eyes to coffee and then, another breakfast of avocado toast and blueberry pie protein shake! I know, I know, I am boring.  I can’t help it, I am so satisfied with this post workout breakfast, I just keep making it. The shake changes everyday, but, avocado smashed on crisp toasted Ezekiel bread is a staple.

wiaw 49 break coll

After breakfast I packed Mya’s lunch.

wiaw48 mya lunch

Once Mya was off to school, I did a bunch of laundry and cleaned up the kitchen before destroying it again in the afternoon. I am just a messy cook…everything out at once! Same goes for the office, my desk is always full of paperwork, it looks like clutter, but I always know where everything is.  I recently read an Einstein quote that said, “If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, then what are we to think of an empty desk?”  That’s me! I extend this theory to the kitchen as well!

I made Andy and I a rainbow salad for lunch.  It was full of tons of super fresh tender spring mix and an array of colorful veggies on top. Red tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, orange tomatoes, purple cabbage, white onion, several shades of green lettuce and grilled asparagus, mushrooms, mixed color peppers, white beans for protein, black Greek olives, and chunks of artichokes. What color would you say artichokes are?

P1090366

P1090359

P1090360

A sprinkle of raw sunflower seeds and balsamic vinaigrette completed this salad masterpiece!

vegan deviled egg

Now the fun begins. I am so excited to share this recipe. I adapted it from Maresa’s deviled egg recipe. Although I was totally inspired and loved her original recipe, I found it too salty for my taste, I tweaked it and changed out the “milk” too.

Being vegan, I have made a tofu version of deviled eggs, but they never looked like or felt like real eggs.  These are crazy vegan egg clones. The texture, taste and look! The best part is, just a few ingredients, and a few minutes until a devilishly good egg-y experience.

P1090407

Recipe:

Egg Whites: about 30-2.5” chocolate molded egg halves

  • 2 cups non dairy milk or creamer------UNSWEETENED
    • Almond milk or soy creamer work best
  • 2 tsp. agar agar POWDER
  • 1/4 tsp. Kala Namak Black Salt
  • Pinch plain sea salt
  • Pinch white pepper (optional)
  • Chocolate egg molds, deviled egg serving tray, or ice cube tray
    • I bought chocolate molds on Amazon for less than $5.00
P1090374 P1090377

Method:

In a small sauce pan bring all ingredients to a slow boil, stirring to blend agar. Turn off immediately after boiling, stir and pour into molds.

Place into refrigerator about 20 minutes to set. You can leave them in as long as you like, and wait till serving before filling.  The agar is like a vegan gelatin and will not stick to what ever mold you use.

P1090415

For the yolks:

  • 1/2 lb. extra firm tofu
  • 3 tbsp. Vegenasie (vegan mayo)I use reduced fat
  • 2 tsp. yellow mustard or Dijon
  • 1 tsp. white or apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black salt
  • 1/2 t turmeric (don’t use too much or your eggs will be fluorescent!)

Put all ingredients in food processor. Blend until smooth.

Place into a plastic bag or piping bag.

When whites are set, spoon out an area for filling. Snip the end of the bag filled with “yolk” and pipe into egg white cavity.

vegan deviled egg

These make a great appetizer, or on top of salads, or just themselves for lunch.  Mya insisted she gets the rest for lunch tomorrow.

P1090407

P1090405

Gorgeous, aren’t they?

P1090419

While the “eggs” were setting up, I made some chocolate. 

P1090473

My once a week fix.  This was a simple mix of 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil, 1/4 cup organic crunchy peanut butter, 2 1/2 tbsp. raw cacao, dash  of vanilla, dash of cinnamon, and 2 tbsp. agave.  Blend together and then add the mix-ins. Mine were 1/2 cup brown rice crispy cereal, 3 tbsp. shredded coconut, and 2 tbsp. raisins. Fill in candy molds, pop in freezer. 15 minutes later, chocolate!

P1090478

P1090456

P1090454

These are the perfect size to enjoy a bit of semi sweet after a meal, or in between meals, or for breakfast, or anytime, its raw chocolate, that’s a health food, right? Winking smile

Brown rice pasta and veggies for dinner. An early dinner. Mya was eager to hit the slopes to practice her developing snow boarding skills, she is determined top go down the big hill this weekend.  We are hoping for some more trips down the 1/2 mountain hill!

I made a sauce of chopped onion, garlic, zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, chopped kale and white beans, then added a jar of eggplant tomato sauce.  While that cooked, I boiled the brown rice noodles until al dente. I drained them and added them to the sauce. 

P1090484

Once totally coated with sauce, serve!

P1090504

P1090494

P1090501

Mya quickly finished her homework and got ready to go. I grabbed my decaf and we all headed out the door just after dark.

P1090514

P1090517

I wish I was not too scared to learn.  She is having a blast.  Her new favorite sentence is … “one more time”!

We came home and it was tea and bread orders before bed.  I am loving getting out her energy snowboarding.  It seems like great exercise.

What did you do today?

Have a great Wednesday, and as always, thanks for stopping by!

shiny_red_apple_for_teacher_0515-1007-2718-1227_SMU

2 comments:

  1. What a great lunch for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog you have here! I'm going to link you and visit often! :)
    Clever idea with the 'eggs' :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts