Plants never tasted so good.

20.3.12

McMaria Vegan Breakfast Sandwich

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious

 

mcmaria polaroid

No, that is not an egg, and yes, I am sure it is vegan. It is hard to believe a breakfast sandwich that looks and tastes this good could possibly be anything but the real deal. 

Breakfast sandwiches are popular in my home. I make this version for my daughter, and once and awhile, for me and Andy too.  We prefer the “grown up” version with spinach, caramelized onions and shitake mushrooms on a whole grain English muffin. I will be featuring the grown up version tomorrow in my WIAW post. 

The perfect tofu egg is all in the method.  I Poach my tofu to make the perfect egg texture. It is amazing how some salted boiling water can turn a plain piece of tofu into a perfect “egg”.  I used this same method for my scrambled tofu and my tofu egg salad.vegan ham tofu egg and cheese

One McMaria on a whole wheat English muffin is 320 calories, no cholesterol, 25 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber!

McMARIA

  • 1 piece of tofu cut to just thicker than 1/4”, use a cookie cutter for a round shape if you like.
  • 2 slices of Smart Deli Baked Ham
  • 1 Slice Vegan Cheddar
  • 1 English Muffin
  • 1 tsp. Earth Balance buttery spread
  • Sea Salt and Pepper

In a small pot, bring 2 cups water to a boil.  Add about a tsp. sea salt to boiling water. Place sliced tofu into water, reduce heat to low. Let boil about five minutes, then turn off heat and proceed to next step.

Pre-heat a skillet, spray with cooking spray.   Add earth balance to skillet where the tofu egg will be placed.  Using a strainer or slotted spoon, remove tofu from boiling water and place it in the earth balance coated spot in the pan.  Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.  Let cook one minute, then flip.

Top with vegan cheddar.  Place English muffins in the toaster. Now, add ham slices to the pan. Turn over ham after about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Let cook an additional 30 seconds and then place the ham on top of the cheese.  Reduce heat to low, and wait for English Muffins to finish toasting.  Once they are ready, place the English muffin on a plate and top with tofu egg.

tofu egg in skillet

 

P1040589

P1040611

P1040597

Okay, now I am off to make lunch. Have a wonderful day!

shiny_red_apple_for_teacher_0515-1007-2718-1227_SMU

4 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! Can you describe which type of tofu I should look for? (I assume the firmest?) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so tasty! I will definitely try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these today and they were delicious! My kiddo even tried and he's never eaten tofu like that before ever. Your photo apparently talked him into it. We used smoky soy curls from Vegan Diner and they were yummy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my day! I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe. It is a favorite in our home. Thanks so much for the feedback.

      Maria

      Delete

Popular Posts