Plants never tasted so good.

11.1.12

TSP “Tuna” Lunch

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious

P1030685_edited-1

It was an open faced TSP “tuna” sandwich with a side of popped corn! I just had to have a piece of this super fresh organic 100% whole wheat bread.  I was just going to make lettuce wraps, but my eyes got the best of me. 

I bought bread for Mya’s lunch, and there is was, staring me in the face, and with a bowl of “tuna” next to it, I caved.  But only 1 piece!!!!  When eating a sandwich my instincts tell me I need a salty, crunchy side. Instead of eating Mya’s stash of baked chips that I have hidden for her lunch, I popped some organic kernels right on the stove in a tbsp. coconut oil. 

Let’s start with the sandwich (this makes 4 sandwiches, or 3 huge sandwiches):

  • 1 cup dry TSP (textured soy protein)   rehydrated according to package directions
  • 3 tbsp. Vegenaise vegan mayo
  • 2 tbsp. plain soy yogurt
  • 2 stalks celery, small dice
  • .5 sweet onion, small dice
  • 2 tbsp. sweet relish
  • 1 tsp. kelp flakes (for sea flavor)
  • .25 tsp. salt
  • .25 Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb blend
  • dash of dried dill

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, set aside about 10 minutes for flavors to absorb.

With my 1 slice bread, spring mix, sprouts, tomato and onion, this open face sandwich was about 370 calories, it also whopped in a solid 28 grams of protein and more than 25% of my daily iron. 

The popcorn was a much better choice than chips. It has 2 grams of fiber and less than 45 calories and per cup when cooked in coconut oil.  I also topped it with Mrs. Dash Table Blend and nutritional yeast for a salty cheese type flavor.  Nutritional yeast also packs a nutritional punch with 3 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber per tbsp.  Not to mention all the B Vitamins. 

So, all in all, my lunch came in around 490 calories, close to 31 grams protein, and 17 grams of fiber, only 330 mg. sodium and because it is vegan, no cholesterol! It also met 2/3 of my iron intake for the day.  Overall, for a sandwich and side, this rates pretty darn good and tastes even better!

P1030688

P1030690

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts