A healthier take on a classic sandwich. I love BLT’s, but not all the bad stuff like cholesterol and fat that can accompany them. Believe me, if you try this re-vamp, you will be happy you did.
This super sandwich started with lightly toasted Rye bread, a little vegan mayo, thick slices of tomato, thin slices of sweet onions, romaine lettuce, baby spinach, sprouts, 3 slices of high protein Tofurky in roasted turkey flavor, 2 slices of vegan bacon, 1 slice veggie Swiss, and another rye slice. It is bursting with flavor. I choose to use rye bread more often because it has many benefits over the much revered wheat bread. Just make sure it is real rye, not caramel color and enriched flour. You want it to say RYE FLOUR, here’s why…
Some key benefits of Rye:
- Rye flour is high in fiber both soluble and insoluble which promotes weight loss
- Lowers the risk of gallstones.
- Lowers the risk of type 2 Diabetes.
- Rye has a slower rate of starch being digested into sugar
- Helps lower cholesterol due to it’s high fiber content
- High in phytonutrients: Plant Lignans which help prevent heart disease.
- Rye is also high in selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, and protein.