Plants never tasted so good.

10.2.11

Mama Maria… It’s Portabella Spinach Lasagna Rolls!

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious

DSC03004
Better, easier and tastier than traditional lasagna.  I saw Giada make rolls before, and I thought, “I could veganize that”.  And I did.  My family went crazy over it.
To keep this light and healthy, I used a lasagna noodle made from Jerusalem Artichoke Flour.  This is found in the organic section.  It is a tender noodle that holds up well.  It really is a much better choice than  regular pasta.
For the filling, I made a decadent ricotta substitute from tofu.  It was drained well, seasoned with Italian seasoning and garlic,shred in 1/4 cup of vegan mozzarella, stir in a tablespoon of olive oil, and two tablespoons of coconut milk for added richness.  I let this sit in the fridge while I made the rest of the filling.
Next, I added 1 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tbsp. butter, get bubbling and add a few diced shallots.  Cook one minute, then add small diced portabella mushrooms. Sautee portabella mushrooms until tender, sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper.  Then add two cups baby spinach.  Put lid on, cook until wilted.  Turn off heat.  Let cool a few minutes.  Mix the portabella and tofu ricotta together.  I let the mixture sit in the fridge until I was ready to make the pasta. 
1 hour before I wanted to serve dinner, I heated the oven to 375, got the pasta water boiling and heated my tomato sauce.  Once the pasta was cooked according to package, I drained it and hung it around the pan to cool.  I layered the bottom of a casserole dish with sauce.  Then took one noodle at a time, filling the end with a large scoop of filling, then rolled it up and placed it seam side down in the pan.  The continued to do this until I was all out of noodles and filling.  I topped the entire dish with sauce and then with vegan mozzarella.   I cover and baked 30 minutes.  I removed cover turned it up to 400 and baked 15 more minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.  The little rolls come out of the pan with no mess and look elegant.  Top with vegan parmesan and some fresh parsley and basil. Serve with large salad and a warm roll. YUM!
Hope you enjoy this some time.  Ciao!
DSC02998 DSC02997
DSC02999 DSC03001
DSC03000 DSC03002
DSC03005

DSC03003

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts