Plants never tasted so good.

15.10.11

A Treasure from 1967 (part 1)

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious
P1010069
I received this lovely vintage cookbook from my wonderful neighbor Mrs. Umpstead.   She is a farmer and has been a vegetarian her whole life. She has given me several vegetarian cookbooks in the past, but this book is a real non-vegetarian treasure.    I don’t even know if the word vegetarian was even coined when this was written.
Betty Crocker’s Hostess Cookbook is in mint condition and dates back to 1967.  It reminds me so much of my Grandmom Capizzi.  She had several cookbooks like these, only she, like me, never used the recipes per say just used them as a idea or guide.  All the recipes my grandmother created were jotted on index cards with ingredients and notes.  I can’t say I understand them all, but I do have a place in my kitchen where I keep them and reference them every now and then.  Just having them near makes me feel like she is there cooking with me.  I also keep her apron to remind me of her and the dedication  and love she had for cooking family meals.  There was no such thing as a fast five minute thrown together meal for her.  Cooking with love takes time you know! 
My intention is to share the book with all you.  True treasures should be shared.  It is not the recipes I want to share, but the lifestyle and memories  it brings back.  Look at the cover.  Is that Mrs. Brady’s house?  I bet Alice used this book.  This book teaches you how to put on a “proper” dinner party.  It is surprising how  much entertaining guests has changed since then.  It was a different world in 1967.  This is Donna Reed time or even Samantha from Bewitched.  Women got dressed up just to do housework.  They did not own nor did they know what sweat pants were. Tables were set with place settings and pride.  China and Crystal were not just for holidays, and Sunday gatherings were weekly, not occasions. Women spent hours in the kitchen but it was not to scarf down a meal in ten minutes.  People lingered at the table , actually shared conversations and had formal coffee and dessert.  The meal was an event from preparation to clean up.
Anyhow, I wanted to share these tidbits with you because I find them interesting and nostalgic.  I plan on sharing the book in parts over the next few weeks.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
It starts with a letter from Betty…
  
P1010075
hotess table of contents
Who knew how to throw a Gay Supper Party without this book?  It takes on a whole new meaning since 1967…
P1010077
Even place settings earn themselves a page…
P1010076
I would love to know some of your thoughts and comments!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts