Plants never tasted so good.

2.1.13

WIAW 44 & 45 Holiday Edition

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious

 

Hi everyone! I apologize, with our bakery orders so busy on Christmas Eve plus entertaining on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I did not get my WIAW #44 Christmas post done.  This post is going to be a summary of Last week and this week.

Christmas was fantastic.  Christmas Eve I spent most of the day in the kitchen making Stromboli and pies. I made spinach and mushroom, vegan ham, pepperoni and cheese, and cheese steak varieties.  {click here for recipe link}

P1040065

I made the pies for Christmas Day, tofu Coconut Cream Pie and Vegan Nut based Cheesecake, I used the extra bits of filling to make mini versions for Christmas Eve,.  The cheesecake was my favorite, it was mostly made from soaked cashews and macadamia nuts. Classically flavored with lemon zest and topped with cherries, everyone loved it and had no idea it was not dairy!

pies

P1080780

Me and Mya also tried to make almond meal thumb print cookies.  They looked really nice and tasted awful!  Epic failure!  It was a recipe from Vegan Family Meals, awful.  I gave them to the birds.

Although we had fun making them! And, made quite a mess.

P1080738

P1080740

P1080748

Mya’s creativity was a good distraction while waiting for guests, , she spent all day Christmas Eve making accessories for her Monster High Dolls. She allowed a Disney Prince to stand in for Claude Wolf in case she did not get any boys from Santa. She is becoming quite the photographer!

P1080733

P1080728

P1080725

We spent Christmas Eve with my dad, my brother, and Andy’s parents. We feasted and opened some presents.

P1080785

I tried an iPhone self portrait…how do people do this?

me christmas eve upclose me christmas eve

I served (all vegan) Stromboli, onion rings, mini hoagies and cheesesteaks, waffle fries and some mini desserts that were a preview of our Christmas Pies.

P1070520

P1080776

P1080777

P1080778

P1080779

 

After eating all that good food, and a few glasses of wine, we were exhausted. Mya was thrilled her mom-mom Iva gave her the Monster High School Christmas Eve.

P1080866

We watched the Polar Express, all squished together, like we do every Christmas Eve and then went to bed by ten.

 photo

It was the best Christmas ever.  Mya was beyond thrilled, it was a Monster High Christmas.  She got all the dolls she asked Santa for and a few extra Monster surprises.  I could not stop smiling all day.

christmas 2012 opening gifts

P1080861

Mya played all day with her new monsters.  She loved the boys so much, she did not put them down.  She had a late afternoon nap with Prince, and the boys!

christmas morning

P1080766

P1080765

Christmas day was spent feasting again, this time with mom!

We had my famous loaded lasagna stuffed full of veggies, Field Roast Italian sausage, and my tofu cashew ricotta.  No one could believe it was vegan.  I will admit, it was probably one of my best ever.  I made some snacks, including my left over Stromboli, and a huge Italian salad to go along.  I was so happy to have lasagna as a meal for the next two days.  So sad when it was all gone. {click here for lasagna recipe}

lasagna poloroid

 

P1070824

P1070785 P1070788
[P1050351%255B4%255D.jpg]

P1070522

During the week, Mya played with her monsters non stop.  And then we were lucky enough to enjoy a few inches of beautiful snowfall. 

mya and andy in snow

It was Prince’s first snow. He loved it.

P1080887

prince first snow

We went sledding that afternoon. I love going down on the tube.  It was a perfect hill for me. Not too much to walk back up!

 

We had a lot of tofu Florentine breakfasts this week.  Shitake mushrooms and onions sautéed in Braggs with kale and spinach atop my tofu eggs and spice Daiya cheese. I ate this at least 4x this week. So good! {click here tofu Florentine recipe}

P1080977

P1080982

Salads and leftovers were consumed a lot this week. Even a pot of chicken-less pastina soup after Christmas, we all had the sniffles.

P1080591

All in all, I could not have had a happier 10 days!  I will be super sad when Mya goes back to school today.  She is really excited for after school, her snow boarding after school program stats today, I will post the pics.!

There was lots of coffee drank, and snacks eaten through the week.

P1080491

We ordered Chinese for New Years Eve.  It was delicious.  I have not had Chinese take out in about 5 years.  I just usually cook everything myself.  But the kitchen was clean and I was tired, braving the grocery store for something special on New Year’s Eve was just not going to happen.  A treat was in order.  It was really good, but I don’t think I will be having any again anytime soon.  Kung Pao tofu is my favorite.

We hung at home, ate our dinner and curled up to take in the Avengers.  We saw it at the movies, but we were looking forward to watching again at home to catch all the little things you miss the first time.  I just adore super hero movies, especially Marvel!

I took a short nap between the Avengers and midnight, got up just in time to watch the ball drop with Andy and Mya.  It could not have been better! 

I hope you all had a great holiday week as well.  I promise next week will be filled with healthy meals and recipes.  The photos of meals kind of got away from me this week, the dark coming so early doesn’t help either.

Have a great Wednesday.

shiny_red_apple_for_teacher_0515-1007-2718-1227_SMU

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Maria! Looks like you had a wonderful holiday, full of great food. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was great! I was so blessed to be spending time with family.

      Delete
  2. Looks like y'all had a wonderful holiday! So many great photos! Thank you for sharing.

    p.s. your kitchen is AMAZING <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie! I hope you had a great holiday as well. Thanks for the compliment on the kitchen! We redid it 2 years ago, now it my favorite place in the house.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your site and am so excited to make several of your recipes next week! Thanks for sharing!! Just wondering if you might post your recipe for that yummy cheesecake you made? I've been trying to find a great one. The one you said was classic lemon flavor, made of cashews and macadamia's and topped with cherries. I tried to look around on your site for it but didn't see it any where. Maybe I missed it. Thanks again!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts