Plants never tasted so good.

31.10.12

What I Ate Wednesday #37

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious

 

In the aftermath of hurricane Sandy, we stayed at home and thought about how blessed we were this time.  We were not so lucky with Irene and we prepared for the worst.  Bringing everything up from our basement and clearing out our backyard. With all the preparation, our prayers were answered as we saw the super storm come and go in our flood prone town. I thought I would be doing a lot of cooking, being stuck at home for two days, but that was not the case.  I was glued to the TV and feeling the pain of so many people affected after going through it before.  My prayers are with all those who are in the process of recovering from this natural disaster. 

wiaw 37 collage

Even though the darkness of the day did not allow for the best pictures, I decided to participate in WIAW this week anyway.  So here are the meals I ate today, and an added bonus since dinner was a bust!

Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats

Our neighbors stopped down and had coffee at breakfast since they had no power. I cooked up a simple batch of apple pie pancakes that were light yet filling.  They were a simple breakfast instead of blowing up the kitchen like I normally do.  Cinnamon and agave added a subtle sweetness and fresh apple, that I par cooked, and Earth Balance Buttery spread were perfect little chunks tucked inside the batter.

P1080085

P1080089

I had planned on making a vegan chicken potato corn chowder for lunch.  I put that off to tomorrow.  Instead lunch was Amy’s Veggie burgers with portabella, caramelized onions, and a few thin slivers of Daiya Jack.  I served a handful of baked chips on the side. These were really delicious.

P1080109 P1080098
P1080095

 

After lunch, we shared the last of the baked apple crisp I made the other night.  We had it warmed with some vegan vanilla ice cream and some cinnamon on top!

P1080115

P1080116

By dinner, we were slammed in our office and cooking was not so much on my mind. Mya asked if we could have cereal for dinner. I looked at the counter which had sauce, beans, kale, veggie Italian Sausage, and rice pasta waiting to be cooked. I thought she might be onto something. I checked the cabinet and we had plenty of choices and a full carton of coconut milk in the fridge. Okay, cereal for dinner!

P1080117

I had spelt flakes, raisins, dried cherries, granola, hemp seeds, a small piece of frozen banana sliced thin and some ice cold coconut milk.

P1080118

 

Since this was not really a dinner, I will share with you a meal I was planning on writing a post about for the past two weeks.

Mya loves sushi from Wegman’s.  She asks for it all the time.  I tried in the past to make it and never got it right. I finally did.  A few practices and it was awesome.  I realized I pay $6.00 for 1 roll (8 slices) of vegan sushi.  I made my own rolls, five rolls (40 pieces) for less than $5.00.  I saved $24.00 and enjoyed two meals from the forty rolls.

I used nori sheets for three rolls and two rolls were soy sheets.  Inside my rolls were sticky brown rice, avocado, matchstick slices of carrots, red pepper, and snow peas, I also used slices of spicy baked tofu for my center and a sprinkle of sesame seeds in each.  They turned out perfect. I was over joyed.  I did not have pickled ginger so we had some minced ginger on top.  Mya and Andy were thrilled. I was so happy they stayed together.  I bought a sushi kit brand new at a yard sale and it had a book of tips with the bamboo mat, and those tips did the trick. Amazing, I now can make Mya sushi anytime.

P1070851

P1070842

P1070845

P1070850

So this is what I ate Wednesday with a bonus!  I hope all of you out there have not been effected by the storm, but if you have, you are in my thoughts and prayers. 

I will be posting the Vegan chicken potato corn chowder as soon as I make it this week.  I hope you have a great Wednesday!

shiny_red_apple_for_teacher_0515-1007-2718-1227_SMU

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that you and and your lovely family are safe!

    Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. My goodness...I want to eat all of that sushi! It looks incredible! It has been wayyy too long since I've gone out to my fave sushi restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kelsey. This time is was way easier to make than before. I love learning new cooking skills.

      Delete
  2. Yep that all looks so amazingly good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apple pie pancakes sound like a great idea! I've been all about the pumpkin, but we can't forget the apples either in the midst of all of the Holiday baking! Apple crisp sounds like the solution... I need to make a microwave version!

    Ooo... Sushi! I haven't had any in awhile, and honestly other than it being "vegetarian" or a "fish" version I have no idea what the difference is between the various types!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts