Plants never tasted so good.

24.10.12

What I Ate Wednesday #36

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious

 

collage wiaw36

 

 Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats

Is there better way to start your day than ICE CREAM?  Not dairy ice cream, but almond ice cream, fresh from my Vitamix and topped with lots of super goodies! Please excuse some of the pics, it is so hard to get breakfast pics when the sun is still rising, and today it was really cloudy too.  I tried to prolong breakfast as long as I could, but after my workout I was ready for something cold and refreshing.

This bowl of fabulousness was composed of a handful of almonds, a squirt of agave, a scoop of vanilla Spiru-tein protein, 1 drop of pure vanilla extract and lots of ice.  It creams up into a lovely soft serve style “ice cream”.  I topped it with hemp seeds, chia seeds, and a handful of pumpkin flax granola.  It was heavenly. Mya loved the idea of ice cream for breakfast, what kid wouldn’t?

P1070866P1070868

P1070888

After making a frozen breakfast, a warm lunch was on the menu.  Soup, no, make that soups.  I made two different batches of soup this morning, Andy’s favorite “chickenless” pastina, and my grandmother’s beefless potato pea stew.  Both turned out just the way I planned.  It was so easy to make two pots because both started with sautéed onions, celery, and carrots. A few more ingredients in each, and then soup is ready for weekday lunches.  I had both pots done by 9:00am.  I let it cool down and the flavors grow stronger while we got some things done before lunch. I used seitan for the beef in the stew, and it was amazingly undetectable, I think I could fool omnivores with this stew.

P1070890

P1070894

P1070896

There was a bit of errand running and some nutrition studying through the afternoon.  Then there was some chocolate craving. Yep, I needed to make some chocolate.

This was a simple recipe because I used melting disks from Trader Joe’s. I found half a bag stowed away. Normally, I use coconut oil, agave, and cacao.  I was too low on coconut oil so I raided to cabinets to see what else I had.

P1070908

P1070906

I conveniently found a bag of trail mix that only had about 3/4 cup left in it, and there was a barrel of pretzels that a few would not be missed. 

P1070904

P1070905

I combined those two and waited for the chocolate to melt in my glass bowl over simmering water.

P1070913

Once the chocolate was melted, I mixed all the trail mix and pretzels in and coated them thoroughly with the chocolate.  Then the whole mixed was poured onto a parchment lined pan. 

P1070914

It was then popped into the freezer for about an hour to harden.

P1070944

Then it had to be broken up for a taste test. 

P1070945

YUM. You could taste the dried blueberries, cranberries, dates, raisins, soy nuts, almonds and pretzel pieces surrounded in the dark bitter sweetness.  Chocolate heaven. Mya and Andy agreed. Of course, it took a lot of taste tests for them to be sure. Smile

I knew I wanted to use up the Delicata squash I had around and I thought it might be a perfect dinner to roast them and stuff them. 

P1070924

I had a bag of whole grain stuffing cubes that I mixed with a broth made from no salt bouillon. I stirred in sautéed onions. carrots, celery, apple, walnuts, dried cranberries and two crumbled Field Roast Apple Sage Sausages. I popped it in a casserole dish in the oven to cook beside my roasting squash halves.  When squash was fork tender, I flipped them face up and filled them with the stuffing and put them back in the oven for a few more minutes.  These will definitely be on my vegan Thanksgiving table.

P1070978

P1070980

P1070989

These babies were cleaned down to shreds of skin.  Everyone enjoyed them. And, a small piece of chocolate for dessert.

I hope you enjoyed the meals. Thanks for stopping by this lovely Autumn day!

 

shiny_red_apple_for_teacher_0515-1007-2718-1227_SMU

3 comments:

  1. Everything looks truly amazing! I want to try that chocolate treat. The other food looks so good too, but I think I'm a bit of a chocolate fanatic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chocolate you made look delicious! I love stuffing my squash, this post definitely inspired me to put stuffed butternut squash in my dinner rotation for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stuffed squash looks great! I've just been eating plain ole microwave squash lately, but it would be even better filled with something! That chocolate and pretzel combo sounds awesome. This summer I made a pb chocolate-ish recipe. Have you ever heard of buckeyes? Basically I took powdered sugar and peanut butter (maybe another ingredient, but I don't remember... haha), rolled them into balls, and then sandwiched between two pretzels. Then I dipped it in chocolate. Sadly I couldn't have any because I was allergic to about the entire ingredients. But everyone who ate them loved them! Chocolate and pretzels are a matched made in heaven. You just can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts