Plants never tasted so good.

3.10.12

What I Ate Wednesday #33

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious

The fridge is bare…

 

 This what I ate Wednesday was slightly more challenging because the fridge, freezer and pantry are almost bare.  I have been trying to use up a lot of stuff and not shop so much.  Considering the pickings, I think I came up with some pretty satisfying meals.

Breakfast was right after a cardio workout and I wanted a hot and spicy breakfast, but Andy and Mya wanted warm and cozy.  They had steaming bowls of corn grits with a little Earth balance buttery spread, and Andy had “facon” bits on top.  Mya likes her pretty plain.

grits

Since hot and spicy is my preference, I made a sweet potato tofu scramble with onions and hot and sweet peppers.  I mixed a dollop of ketchup with crushed red peppers for some more heat.

sweet potato tofu scramble

After working in the office and contemplating how to rearrange it, I decided to get out some frustrations by doing some strength training.  It worked! Time for lunch.  I was not starving, so I opted for almond yogurt with some vanilla soy protein powder and cinnamon mixed in.  I then added chopped apples, raisins, and some oats.  I stirred it together and it tasted like apple cake batter! YUM!

P1070577

P1070574

P1070575

I made Andy some leftover tomato soup with a grilled Tofurky and “cheese” sandwich.  It was perfect on this rainy day.

P1070580

P1070581

Digging in the freezer, I found inspiration for dinner! Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Middle Eastern Flatbread.  This stuff makes great pizza.  I also found half a jar of my favorite pizza sauce.  I did have some Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella to shred on top.  Mya like hers plain.

P1070586

mya pizza

P1070587

Andy and I like ours fully loaded. Shitake mushrooms, kale, caramelized onions, sautéed peppers, garlic and Braggs for veggie seasoning.

P1070596

P1070593

P1070600

Since the What I Ate Wednesday theme for October is spooky snacks and healthier Halloween treats, I thought I would share a treat I like to make Mya for school.  Since she needs some extra energy this week, I think some raw superfood chocolate should do the trick.  Mya insists she is going to be a vegan chocolate maker when she grows up, so this activity was hers to do. All I did was melt the coconut oil by placing it near the oven while I made the pizza. I gave her all the ingredients, and she mixed it all together and poured it into a glass casserole dish lined with parchment and popped it in the freezer. 

P1070604

BEFORE

AFTER

P1070606 P1070608

P1070609

This awesome nutrient packed chocolate was made from raw coconut oil that was liquefied, some agave for sweetener, raw cacao, chic seeds, hemp seeds, dried cranberries, raisins, pistachios, a few peanuts, and unsweetened dried coconut. I popped it in the freezer for less than an hour and it turns into a giant chocolate bar.  I then break it into free form pieces.  Pop those in a ziplock bag and keep them stored in the fridge or freezer.  I wrap a piece in parchment when I put it in Mya’s lunch.  It gives her enough energy to get her through her long school day and make it to practice after school.

P1070610

P1070612

P1070614

P1070612

This is one of my favorite treats to eat after a meal. It tastes better than store bought,  I break off a piece the size of a quarter and I am totally satisfied and my cravings are cured. 

I hope you have a great Wednesday…I am off to the grocery store to refill the freezer. fridge and pantry!

shiny_red_apple_for_teacher_0515-1007-2718-1227_SMU

10 comments:

  1. The sweet potato-tofu scramble looks great and I have both at the moment! Sounds like dinner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That grilled cheese is calling out to me. LOL, and the chocolate of course! :) Jessica

    SweatismySanity.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving all of your meals. Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your food looks really filling, and warm! Perfect for fall weather. Growing up my parent's pizza always looked different from mine and my brother's too. We only like Plain Cheese and my dad liked... Mushrooms. Ew. But I love them today, so all is forgiven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. all of your food looks so awesome! I totally need to make that chocolate, it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great way to sneak in the superfoods and have some dessert too.

      Delete
  6. That chocolate snack looks amazing! And, you did a great job with the resources you had! Everything looks delicious. I have been trying to use food up and not buy so much too, so I understand. I made carrot soup yesterday. You need very little for that, except carrots! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I cannot believe what I can stretch, but when I went to the grocery store to restock, I could bear to look at the bill. Food prices, especially organic and vegan are outrageous anymore.

      Delete

Popular Posts