Plants never tasted so good.

26.9.12

What I Ate Wednesday #32

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious

 

Warm coffee on a brisk fall morning is so comforting.  As much as I try to deny that Fall, being my favorite season, leads to winter, I still bask in it’s glory for as long as I can.

It is hard not to wake up happy during these harvest days where the end of summer crops are still lingering and all the Autumn fruits and veggies are in full bloom. I think What I Ate Wednesday Autumn editions are my favorites.  Today, maybe a few unconventional meals, like Coconut Creamed Kale for breakfast and healthier pumpkin chocolate cupcakes.
 
Yes, you read that right. Coconut creamed kale for breakfast. All I can say is, “bowl licking good”.  Literally, I am embarrassed to admit, I licked the bowl.  My puppy was eagerly awaiting my bowl, he was sadly disappointed at the lack of need to pre-clean.  He was out of a job!
 
Here is a pic to get you inspired to make this dish for breakfast, lunch, dinner, a side or even a snack.  Anytime you make it you will be glad you did.

coconut creamed kale

This is not a recipe per say, more like a bit of instruction on how I make my version. I never seem to be able to get the exact measurements, so instead of not sharing, I am giving you the brief version. Tofu can be omitted of you do not like it, but it is a quite delicious protein packed part of this meal.

Coconut creamed tofu:

  • Six to Eight cups clean chopped kale
  • 1/2 block tofu rinsed and drained, small cube
  • 1 medium onion, very small dice
  • 1 clove garlic, diced
  • 1/2 can coconut milk, regular or light
  • 4 ounces shitake mushrooms, sliced thin
  • Braggs Liquid aminos
  • Mrs. Dash Garlic Blend
  • 2 tbsp. Vegetable broth
  • 1 to 2 tsp. coconut oil

I start off with 1 tsp. of coconut oil in a cast iron pan.  Once it is heated up, I toss in one medium onion diced very small.  Let the onion cook over medium heat about a minute before adding half a packed drained and small cubed tofu.  Sprinkle with a tiny bit of sea salt and pepper.  Stir around until tofu begins to brown.  Add one clove of diced garlic.  Then add 3oz. sliced shitake mushrooms.  To the mushrooms add 1/4 tsp. Braggs Liquid Aminos.  Stir frequently about one minute.  Add 6 to 8 cups chopped cleaned kale right on top of the tofu, mushrooms and onion.  Once kale is piled high on top, season with Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herbs, 1/4 tsp. of Braggs, 2 tbsp. veggie broth, and then cover and turn to low.  Cook about 2 to 3 minutes until kale has wilted and is about half its volume. Stir everything together.  Add one half cup of regular or light coconut milk, stir and cover again for additional two minutes. Remove lid, turn off heat on let it sit and thicken for a few minutes before serving.  I always add an extra stream of coconut milk on top just before serving.

kale collage

This meal is packed with protein, good fats, super food greens, antioxidants, healing mushrooms and bursting with flavor.  I promise, this will not disappoint.  I could easily eat the whole pan full myself, but I shared it with Andy.  He also loved it, and he did not think it was crazy for breakfast! 

P1070501

P1070506

Onto lunch, this was easy, just reheat and eat.  I made two vegan cheese steak Stromboli's on Sunday so we could eat some with football and have slices with soup or salad during the week.  It worked out perfectly.  I made a large batch of vegetable stew on Monday morning and served it with a few slices of Stromboli, and today, we had reheat stew with some boli on the side.

P1070516

Veggie stew was packed with carrots, celery, onions, sweet and white potatoes, tomatoes, kale, peas, corn, green beans, lentils, mushrooms and barley in a veggie broth.

P1070523

Pizza dough stuffed with Gardein Beefless Tips, Onions, Portabella Mushrooms, hot and sweet peppers, and some Daiya Cheese. Baked to perfection and dipped in ketchup, yum.

P1070525

P1070522

After this delicious lunch, we had a bit of running around to do.  I tried to get a lot done before Mya came from school.  She had activities today, so she did not get home till dinner time.  I had it just about ready.

Autumn inspired couscous with Gardein Turkey cutlets and Agave Dijon Sauce.

autumn couscous

Wheat couscous  was blended with sautéed apples, pan roasted hazelnuts, pecans, and pistachios, plump raisins, cranberries and a hint of earth balance.  The turkey cutlets were a nice addition to this dish especially with the the homemade sauce. 

P1070531

While I was finishing dinner, I put Mya right on helping with dessert.  We made Chocolate Pumpkin Donuts and muffins.  They are a low fat healthier version  that are not quite as sweet or rich as regular cupcakes or donuts.  Just top with powdered sugar when cool and serve with coconut milk!

P1070546

P1070542

P1070544

I had so much fun in the kitchen today, and after looking back on my day, I think the best thing I ate was definitely the coconut creamed kale.  I cannot wait to eat it again.  What was the best thing you ate today?

Have a great Wednesday!

shiny_red_apple_for_teacher_0515-1007-2718-1227_SMU

Can you believe how big Prince is getting…5 months old already!

P1070512

12 comments:

  1. All of your meals sound fantastic, especially the stromboli! I haven't had stromboli in forever. I MUST change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing I ate yesterday was the chicken salad from Cafe Rio. Do you have Cafe Rio where you're at? All of your meals look delish but now I'm craving the chocolat/pumpkin donuts & muffins. BTW, could you tell me who you got your certification through? I am looking into doing the same and trying to decide. Thanks much! :) xo, Jessica

    sweatismysanity.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica. Thanks for the comment. I have never heard of Cafe Rio , not sure if we have one. I received my certification through Institute of Integrative Nutrition. Visit my website www.appetitefornutrition.com for more info and a free book that explains it all. Good luck, and have a great Wednesday!

      Delete
  3. I have a GIANT bundle of kale in the fridge from the farmers market so I totally want to try that kale recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate pumpkin donuts and muffins!! Yum! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Chocolate Pumpkin Donuts look soooo good! And the strombolis sound great too. I have ground beef in the fridge and I've been contemplating what to do with it, so that might be an idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH WOW! Amazing! This is the first time I've come across your blog!
    It all looks so amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a first time visitor (from WIAW) and I am definitely coming here more often!! That coconut kale looks amazing! Definitely going to have to try it! Everything else looks good too...starting to make me hungry even though I just ate dinner!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get hungry when I am browsing food blogs, there is just so much inspiration!

      Delete
  8. oh yeah coconut creamed kale!! mhmm!! i seem to constantly search for new breakfast options that are non SAD standard. i love greens and could eat them any day. i actually had a small green smoothie and kale chips for breakfast too.. maybe should not share that with everyone, my boyfriend thinks i am addicted to kale chips. :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts