Plants never tasted so good.

6.11.11

Chilly Day Chili and Personal Pizza Lunch

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious

P1010479

P1010475

After a 30 degree 8am Saturday soccer game, we needed to warm up for lunch.  Since it was me, Andy, Mya and her friend Riley, I wanted to keep it kid friendly and fast.

I always keep Trader Joe’s Pizza Sauce and Whole Wheat Middle Eastern Flatbread in the freezer just for an occasion such as this. 

My chili came together pretty quickly because I used Soy Chorizo as the meat.  Not much other seasoning is required with that.  I started with my cast iron Dutch oven heating , added 2 tbsp. olive oil.  I cooked up 1/2 of a diced large yellow onion, then added frozen mixed peppers.  As soon as they soften I added the Chorizo.  Next was drained and rinsed can of dark red kidney beans, and then a large can of diced tomatoes.  I like it a little thicker so I also added 3 tbsp. of tomato past and a little water.  Once it came to a slight boil, I turned down the heat, added some extra chili powder, a little cumin and let it cook covered about 20 minutes.  When it’s done, serve it up with sour cream and cheese.  I love crushed tortilla chips and avocado on mine.

While the chili was cooking I preheated the oven to 425.  I put my 6” flat breads onto pizza pans that have holes in them.  I think they make great crispy crust without the hassle of a stone.   Once the oven was hot, I put the “crusts” in for a few minutes.  I then take them out a sheet at a time, brush on a drizzle of olive oil, season with Italian seasoning, then add the sauce, and then the Dayia Italian Cheese, and a sprinkle of pizza seasoning.  I then put it back in the oven until the cheese melts.  I would normally add a ton of toppings, since the kids were starving, I served them plain with pizza seasoned air popped corn and chili on side.

The hungry girls devoured their pizza, had a little chili, and were onto dessert!

P1010474

Looks like the Hawaiian Punch Guy!

P1010478

P1010481

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts