Plants never tasted so good.

18.9.11

Field Roast with the Trimmings

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious
P1000905
Autumn weather means comfort food. Sunday dinners the way my grandmother used to make them, only vegan.  I don’t know how she would feel about the “meatless” part, but I do know she would love the house smelling of cinnamon baked apples and roasting veggies. 
I just love a hearty Sunday dinner.  You smell it cooking for hours, you get the kitchen clean while its baking away and you actually have the table set.  It’s Sunday in fall, which means football, snacks and dessert.  This is my favorite time of year.  I love waking up to the chilly fall air, then warming up with a hot cup of coffee and by mid day wearing shorts, then by evening back to warm clothes and a mug of tea to warm up and end a glorious fall day. 
Anyway, back to the food.  A field roast is made from wheat gluten and vegetables.  It tastes like turkey and has a wonderful stuffing inside.  I always make some gravy on the side and plenty of classic veggies to accompany it.  I chose potatoes, carrots, peas, and onion for this roast.  And what Sunday dinner would be complete without a sweet side that doubles as dessert?  How about baked apple crisp?  Crisp juicy seasonal Granny Smiths, sweeten with a little sugar and cinnamon and then topped with a buttery oatmeal whole wheat crumble. The best part of this dessert was that Mya enthusiastically helped by making the topping all by herself.  I gave her the ingredients and some instruction, she did the rest.  Everything was wonderful and it was a beautiful Sunday.  I hope yours was also.

P1000914
P1000890

P1000901

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts