Plants never tasted so good.

23.1.11

Asian Grilled Tofu with Sweet & Sour Stir-fry

Posted by Sinfully Nutritious
DSC02917 DSC02918

Asian Grilled Tofu is a great dish to keep in the fridge and use with many dishes throughout the week.  I used to go to Wholefoods just to get grilled tofu.  It cost me $8.00 a pound.  Now, I only pay $1.79 lb. for the tofu, and the marinade costs pennies. 

I drain the tofu, press out the water in paper towels, cut in half on the diagonal, then sliced those pieces into three.  I make a marinade of rice vinegar, tamari, agave,and mirin. Place the tofu in the marinade covering one side then flipping over and covering the other.  I like to leave it for about 20 minutes or so.  You can even leave it overnight.  Next, I get the grill pan really hot and add some canola oil once it is hot.  Brush on the oil and place the slices on top of the grill, keep the marinade aside.  I use a cast iron press to help get the tofu charred (no cancer causing agents like in chicken).  Flip once char marks appear.  You can then take these off and place the back in the leftover marinade.  Not like meat, so no salmonella or Ecoli threat here. 

The next part of the meal just calls for boiling some Udon (buckwheat) noodles. Then making a great stir-fry from your favorite veggies.  I used carrots, parsnips, bok choy, savoy cabbage, red onion, bell peppers, broccoli, pineapple, and cashew nuts on top.  I used a basically the same marinade with a bit of spice and some arrowroot to thicken.  Sesame seeds are great with this also. 

This dish has protein, fiber, calcium, and tons of antioxidants.  It is a great Asian treat.  Make it fancy by serving with crispy vegetable eggrolls, some Jasmine tea, and chop sticks.  This is light and satisfying. 

DSC02920

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts